Thursday, October 8, 2009

turn on me


For starters this isn’t a real person. If you can’t tell from the hole in the ear and the cut off arm, it is a mannequin. A few months ago i became very interested in this subject. I think the biggest reason why i was so interested was because the lack of control it gave me. Because it is a plaster mannequin posing it was not really an option. This stipulation intrigued me. So in reaction to this i manipulated around the object, treating it like a statue that was immobile. I circled the subject and toyed with the lighting until i discovered the composition you see here. A single continuous light was used accompanied by a diffusing umbrella courtesy of my photo teacher. Later i manipulated the contrast and hi-light in CS4. I thought to my self that it was finished…… however after i finish one of my works i set it as my desktop background so i can sort of “proof” it. I finally noticed the missing part of the puzzle. The pictures alone is pretty, with the dramatic lighting and rich contrast, but pretty wont get you into art school. Deciding that the photo wasn’t enough i played with it, eventually noticing the smooth pattern on shadow the the left side of the face. As you can see i duplicated it so i had three pictures unified as one. I believe that this repetition really emphasizes the shape of the head and neck. Therefore in my opinion making the piece more abstract than anything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment