Monday, October 5, 2009

souvenirs


I had never had very much luck with still life photography until i created this scene. This picture actually morphed from me dropping a strawberry into a vase full of 7-up believe it or not. First my thought was to drop a strawberry into the vase and take the photo with my remote all at the same time… it was very challenging to say the least. I would mostly take the photo too late, catching just barely the beginning of the action. As i tried this over and over and over again i noticed when i left the fruit in the pop tiny bubbles began to form on it. I then began photographing it. After a while i noticed just how cheesy the pictures were turning out…. i then began experimenting with my hand. I removed one of the lights creating a more interesting and 3d subject. After a while of shooting i thought to myself, “this would make a pretty cool photo for some kind of jewelry ad.” So i then ransacked my sister’s jewelry for some candidates and found one of my grandmother’s pieces of costume jewelry. Keeping the necklace weaved between my fingers was one of the most challenging parts of this shoot, but eventually i produced a picture that pleased my very picky taste (I’m my own worse critic). I obviously manipulated the photo turning my skin tones to blue. I thought the red and yellow tones took away from the feeling of the photo. I think that the blue better compliments the idea of diamonds. I enjoy the picture, however, i wish i would have taken the photo quicker so the bubbles wouldn’t have gotten so large. I feel like the size of the bubbles takes away from the subject at hand. The necklace. But i guess you can’t have everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment